I’ve decided to do the unthinkable and impose a complete makeup and cosmetic shopping ban for the next 60 days. Sixty looooong days. Cue ominous music.

It’s been on my mind lately and I’ve come to the conclusion that I clearly do not need anything new, but would probably go out and buy something anyway. So in rebellion against my compulsive excess, I challenge myself to blog and make-do with what I already have. And truth be told that’s not as horrific as it sounds. Besides not being able to buy anything – Ok that is difficult – I will be forced to dust off the cobwebs of my forgotten items and rediscover them all over again.

If the challenge is a success, I will consider extending it. No promises though. I’m a recovering beauty junkie, not a bloody camel…

The Rules!

• NO purchases for the next 60 days. This includes: makeup & cosmetics, makeup accessories, skin care, hair care and anything else I have forgotten.
  • NO, being chased by wolves is not an excuse. Nor is ‘It’s limited edition!’, or ‘It’s the last one!’.
  • NO, not even if it’s discounted so much it’s almost free.
  • I MUST only blog about items I already own.
  • I AM ALLOWED to blog ad nauseum about how frustrating this may be.

Exceptions!

Personal care items like body wash and deodorant are allowed. I’m trying to challenge myself, ok? Not frighten innocent bystanders.

DEEP BREATH. AAAAAAND GO!…

24 Comments on Challenging Myself To A 60 Day Ban

1. NailDays
    June 8, 2012 at 9:39 am (5 years ago)

Wow, that’s brave! I doubt I could do that, all cosmetics are too tempting! You are right though, have probably reached the point we don’t need more stuff… Good Luck! πŸ™‚

June 8, 2012 at 11:18 am (5 years ago)

Haha, thank you! I know it won’t be easy, I just realized that there’s a new lipstick range Ive been wanting to test out and had forgotten all about it. Gah! Lol.

It’s ok, I will try stay calm and hopefully it will give me a new perspective on buying makeup. Or so I tell myself πŸ˜›

• Kristy
        September 6, 2012 at 4:19 am (5 years ago)

It definately gives you a new perspective! I thought I was missing out if I didn’t buy anything but, truth be told, the makeup and skin care I already own do the same job. And now that I did my own pan at the beginning of the year I don’t feel the need to buy products all the time πŸ™‚

Oh, the money it saves!

September 6, 2012 at 4:23 am (5 years ago)

Oh I couldn’t agree more. There is so much fear in the beginning, but then you realise it really isn’t bad at all. Its a great little reality check, and the money… yes, it saves SO much doesn’t it?! πŸ˜€

2. fancieland
    June 8, 2012 at 9:46 am (5 years ago)

I held off on buying makeup stuff for a while and now I’m back at it lol. I’m not sure if I can last 60 days but I do want to put myself on a no buy challenge. Blog reading will make you buy everything you see lol

June 8, 2012 at 11:24 am (5 years ago)

Oh I know exactly what you mean! It’s tough reading blogs and avoiding the temptation to get a few things for yourself.

I think I actually went a little overboard with my purchases lately so I think it should tide me over πŸ™‚

There will definitely be a long catchup list waiting at the end of 60 days!

• fancieland
        June 9, 2012 at 3:08 pm (5 years ago)

I’m hoping I’ll be the same. It’s getting hectic. lol

3. thebluesugar
    June 11, 2012 at 1:22 am (5 years ago)

I am doing it also. I am stealing your idea and adding a little to it. 60 days and 15lbs. Must get rid of 15 lbs and not purchase any cosmetics within the next 60 days. The reward will be 2 Guerlain lipsticks.

June 11, 2012 at 1:36 am (5 years ago)

That’s fantastic! I’m glad your taking the plunge, we can encourage each other πŸ™‚

The reward sounds like a really great one, it will be well worth it! Yesterday I wrote up a list of ideas to blog about throughout my ban and I came up with almost 60 posts. I’m really excited to see how it goes!

Good luck with your challenge, and who knows, maybe more people will be encouraged to join. I look forward to following your progress! πŸ˜€

4. TheBeautyHolder!
    June 11, 2012 at 6:01 pm (5 years ago)

Well done you! I know you can do it! Think it’s a brilliant idea! xoxo

June 11, 2012 at 9:31 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you so much! I’m liking the idea more and more, especially with all the DIY ideas I’ve been researching. I will keep your encouragement close, for the moments when I have a meltdown and are tempted to spend lol! πŸ˜€

5. torijohnson5
    June 18, 2012 at 12:07 am (5 years ago)

I soooo need to do this. Would probably make for a very happy hubby!

June 18, 2012 at 12:23 am (5 years ago)

Lol my hubby did not object either! He was impressed I was willing to try the challenge, and funnily enough my kids have had a great time keeping me in check,,,

“you didn’t buy that did you?!” haha! πŸ˜€

• torijohnson5
        June 18, 2012 at 1:09 am (5 years ago)

Oh that’s too funny re. the kids!

6. chrissytiffany
    December 11, 2012 at 8:10 am (5 years ago)

Hmm, want to attempt this but scared to!! :p

– C

December 11, 2012 at 9:24 am (5 years ago)

Haha, I know exactly what you mean! It’s scary to think of a spending ban, but if your ever game enough to try you could always do a semi-ban πŸ™‚

For what its worth, as scary as it was, it was really worth it!

• chrissytiffany
        December 12, 2012 at 10:29 pm (5 years ago)

I think make up ban is alright, but clothes is another thing!!

December 12, 2012 at 11:04 pm (5 years ago)

Haha, you are so right. It’s funny how you can easily get away with DIY makeup and skincare, but somehow doing that with clothes from household items doesn’t have the same effect πŸ˜€

7. Vicki
    December 8, 2013 at 11:46 am (4 years ago)

Haha I love the way you express yourself. Love your posts. Saw your birthday FOTD and realized you’re a Taurean. Taureans rock!

December 23, 2013 at 4:03 am (4 years ago)

Thank you so much Vicki! I’m a bit of a silly one πŸ˜›

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Challenging Myself To A 60 Day Ban