If it hadn’t been for my 60 Day challenge (which is now 90 days and completely crazy), I might never have discovered the most effective, yet inexpensive beauty item I own.

I am very proud to introduce you to my DIY Waterproof Makeup Remover, complete with my own home-made label just for fun!

You might remember my DIY organic rosehip oil waterproof makeup remover. Well, this idea was also inspired by the endless DIY makeup remover recipes I found online. It’s my super simple version, and is officially a permanent replacement for my store-bought makeup remover.

Can you say, woot woot?

So why am I so excited?

I will probably never buy another makeup remover again...
And if your like me, that will save untold amounts of money over a lifetime. The three beauty items I have spent the most on in the last 10+ years are:

1. Maybelline Waterproof Mascara
  2. Palmers Cocoa Butter Moisturiser
  3. Waterproof makeup remover

I’ve bought these items more times than I can remember, and now I can cross one of them off the list. If that’s not awesome then I don’t know what is.

All you need:

• Purified/distilled water
  • Olive Oil – regular or organic. Whichever you like. If you’re not a fan of the smell, avoid cold pressed olive oil which I find has a strong aroma.
  • Empty bottle

Three Steps To Awesomeness

Don’t forget to shake before you use!
πŸ™‚

It’s cleared up my skin…
Really. I don’t mean to get all Proactiv commercial on you but I noticed a considerable amount of improvement in my skin. Now, before you throw away your acne treatments it’s important to recognise that for me, the improvement is because of improper cleansing on my part. I realise this now.

Since creating my makeup remover, I’ve used it anytime I want to refresh my skin. Before I cleanse at night, any time of the day and even in the morning. When I first tested the DIY remover I noticed product (think: foundation) left on my skin even after regular cleansing, which of course meant that the cleanser wasn’t doing what I thought it was! Argh! Enter breakouts.

I was horrified to discover this, yet glad I did because now I can correct that.

I also suspect my cleanser was a little too harsh, which also contributed to my skin problems. I was essentially over-washing my skin, just to remove makeup. A big no-no. I’ve now switched to a gentler cleanser. So needless to say, my skin is now calmer than it’s ever been. That goes for redness too. I can’t promise it will be a miracle for you, but hey, wouldn’t hurt to try!

My favourite part… making a fun label!

The Final Verdict

Oil won’t beΒ for everyone as I always say, but I highly recommend you give this a try. Dont be scared. You might be surprised. And remember, all you need is a little patience to remove your waterproof mascara. It might not be as lightning fast as commercial remover, but for what it costs, who cares?

You can modify the formula to suit you, less oil for those who want to avoid it, and a little more if you’re looking for a softening/moisturising boost. For the record I have oily skin, which is the bane of my existence, and I found the olive oil actually improved my skin rather than make my oil slick worse.

So there you have it folks, this gets 10/10 from me. Hands down. It’s genius. And it costs diddly.

15 Comments on DIY Waterproof Makeup Remover

1. Untitled (1986)
    July 24, 2012 at 4:47 am (5 years ago)

Had to pin this cool idea! I have a quick questions: Do you use this cleanser before, after or in lieu of washing/cleansing your face? In the post you said, “When I first tested the DIY remover I noticed product (think: foundation) left on my skin even after regular cleansing, which of course meant that the cleanser wasn’t doing what I thought it was!” This makes me think you are using the remover after your cleanser.

I can’t wait to try this. It’s so simple. Thanks for posting!

July 24, 2012 at 5:36 am (5 years ago)

Thank you so much! The idea is to use this to use it before cleanser to remove all makeup and mascara but there’s no hard and fast rules as to in what order you use it.

The very first time I tried the DIY remover happened to be after I had cleansed, and realized my cleanser left behind traces of makeup (eww). I use it at any time, in any order. Before cleansing, by itself if I am too tired to wash my face, in the morning alone… You name it. πŸ™‚

I’m so glad you like it, good luck! Thanks for commenting.

2. Giddy Tigress
    July 26, 2012 at 3:00 am (5 years ago)

Love the labels you made! Makes the makeup remover bottle look so pretty!

July 26, 2012 at 5:52 am (5 years ago)

That was my favourite part! I had so much fun coming up with ideas for a label, thanks so much! πŸ˜€

3. jennifer jane
    August 14, 2012 at 5:33 pm (5 years ago)

I love this idea but I have oily/combination skin and I’m worried that it may make my skin break-out? xx

August 14, 2012 at 9:54 pm (5 years ago)

I completely understand your fears, I have oily/combination skin as well and for as long as I can remember I would break out at the drop of a hat. I still do!

I found the remover actually helped, but I think everyone may react differently. You could perhaps try a patch test for a few weeks in one spot to see? I hope it works for you! πŸ™‚

4. Ash Park
    August 14, 2012 at 8:11 pm (5 years ago)

This is a wicked tip, thank you! Never knew that was all there was to it! x

August 14, 2012 at 9:56 pm (5 years ago)

Your welcome, I’m so glad you like it. It’s so simple isnt it? I was the same when I first tried it and thought, and I’ve been buying makeup remover for how long?… πŸ™‚

5. bellezakisses
    August 3, 2013 at 12:26 pm (4 years ago)

WOW! I’ve been on the hunt for a make up remover. Funny I found a CVS version that came in the same bottle you have. As soon as I finish that, I’ll be making this. I can’t believe how easy it is. Matter of fact, I might end up throwing it away (it did burn my eyes a bit). And the ingredients on the label brought a smile to my face. πŸ™‚

August 3, 2013 at 12:53 pm (4 years ago)

Haha, aww I’m glad you liked the ingredients. I thought it was a nice touch πŸ™‚

I’ve found the trick is to start with the least amount of oil as possible, and add more as required. Some like less, others prefer more, you will find the right consistency to suit you. It does take a little patience removing waterproof mascara (it’s not as lightning fast as commercial versions) but it always does the trick! I was spending easily hundreds on remover in the past, my favourite was around $10-$13+ a pop.

Good luck!!! xx

6. loto
    August 27, 2013 at 10:17 am (4 years ago)

great recipe, im gonna make it! Btw you should use glass bottles not plastic πŸ˜‰

September 1, 2013 at 5:50 am (4 years ago)

Thanks Loto, thats a great idea! πŸ™‚

7. Sabrina Kamarudin
    December 23, 2013 at 2:28 pm (4 years ago)

Hii dear,thank you so much for this awesome post! How do you store it? and after you remove your makeup with this recipe,do you just let it be or wash your face? πŸ™‚

December 23, 2013 at 5:23 pm (4 years ago)

Hi Sabrina! The great thing is you have the choice to do either. Depending on how oily you choose to make the formula, you can wash it off or leave it on.

Because I’m not an expert on safe product storage and your mixing your own, I’d say its best to prepare smaller amounts and replace it every week or two. Thanks for your comment and good luck with your new makeup remover! πŸ™‚