Beautiful Kayekie Photos Of The Day Lessons In Photography

Photography is an amazing learning journey. It should never truly end. And never have I learnt more, than on this attempt to shoot a fantastic pair of emerald shoes (which somehow look blue) I scored for under $20. Awesome, right? Totes.

The idea was to shoot fabulous photos of the shoes, talk about how awesome they are (because we’re all savvy sistas on a budget) , wear them to a Christmas party or two, and all would be right in the universe. All is definitely right in the universe, but not without its hard work! This was my very first attempt to self-shoot outdoors, and here’s what I’ve learnt because, being the photographer AND model is harder than it looks.

Beautiful Kayekie Photo Of The Day Lessons In Photography

Lesson One – Get a gorillapod. Like, now.
Wow, I had no idea how difficult getting the right angle would be. Turns out, balancing your camera on your clutch, on top of your shoe, on top of your camera backpack is not a reliable way to position your camera. My tripod works perfectly for anything higher than your knee, but any lower, and its improv time. It’s OK  you can laugh. I did.

Beautiful Kayekie Photos Of The Day Lessons In Photography

Lesson Two – Scout good scenes, cause the one you want might not be The One
I love how the photos turned out, but it was so not what I expected. What’s that? A car full of strangers wondering what you are doing in the middle of the park half-dressed up, half-dressed in pajamas with a camera? And that over there, is that a garbage can blocking your perfect shot? And a neighborhood resident eyeing you suspiciously? Suddenly I wished I’d thought about my location a little better.

Beautiful Kayekie Photos Of The Day Lessons In Photography

Lesson three – Bring bug spray. Or go where there are no bugs.
It just so happens a nest of ants were living in the spot I deemed perfect for my setup. Rude. I’m not big on exterminating things, even bugs, but sometimes you just never know. And when I realised my camera , backpack, shoes, legs, everything, were covered in ants… I knew.

Ever seen a woman in heels do a ‘there’s something crawling on me!’ dance? Me either, but I’m sure it was funny for everyone watching. I imagine it looks a lot like the ‘man on fire’ dance.

Beautiful Kayekie Photos Of The Day Lessons In Photography

Lesson four – Consider bribing someone to take your photos for you.
This cancels out the need for previous lessons and could save you from millions of bugs. Nuff said.

After all that, I’m still very proud of the final product. Like I said, an amazing learning journey. 🙂

23 Comments on Photos Of The Day: Lessons In Photography

1. claire
    December 14, 2012 at 12:52 pm (5 years ago)

Your pictures are always amazing, perfect skills! I wish I would be better at taking pictures but I need a new cam for sure as well.

December 14, 2012 at 1:00 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks so much Claire, it makes me smile to know others enjoy my photos 🙂

You should definitely do it if you’d love to learn more, everything I know I learnt from just messing around and practicing. xx

2. Kareen
    December 14, 2012 at 1:46 pm (5 years ago)

Great great colors

December 14, 2012 at 1:49 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks Kareen, I absolutely love bright and colourful! 🙂

3. Nerdy Girl
    December 14, 2012 at 3:34 pm (5 years ago)

I balance my camera on books! lol In fact, I recently got in trouble in a library for doing just that. 🙂 You’re shots turned out great and I LOVE those shoes! 🙂

December 14, 2012 at 3:39 pm (5 years ago)

Ha ha ha! That’s brilliant, I love it. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one who does that. So much easier than lugging a tripod around 🙂

And the shoes are awesome! I’m really sad the colour didnt come out right in the photos, it’s a beautiful deep emerald/turquoise colour. Not bad for around $19!

• Nerdy Girl
        December 14, 2012 at 3:40 pm (5 years ago)

Not bad at all for that price! 🙂 And oh yeah, you are SOOO not the only one! Tripods are a pain, and though I have one, I think I’ve only used it two or three times. On that note, I should probably take my camera out for a walk soon, before I forget how to use it.,.. 🙂

December 14, 2012 at 10:53 pm (5 years ago)

Do show your camera some love! But I like to think its like riding a bike, you never forget 😀

December 15, 2012 at 2:54 am (5 years ago)

Beautiful photos! Always so inspiring. Your legs are Amazingggg! Thanks for the tips 🙂

December 16, 2012 at 10:59 am (5 years ago)

Haha! Why thank you *blushing*, so happy to inspire you! I hope your doing well where you are 🙂

5. Tine
    December 15, 2012 at 5:07 am (5 years ago)

I absolutely adore your posts on photography, Kaye! There’s so much for me to learn :-). xx

December 16, 2012 at 11:02 am (5 years ago)

Aww thank you so much Tine, I am so flattered that you like them. It’s nice to share what I learn, I will keep the photo posts coming 🙂

6. KaKa
    December 15, 2012 at 5:58 pm (5 years ago)

Love this post! Fantastic Photos! Love the first short! PS love the shoes too! 😀 x

December 16, 2012 at 11:05 am (5 years ago)

Thank you beautiful! I wore the shoes for the first time yesterday, boy I am not made for heels, haha! They look fabulous though 🙂

7. Holly J
    December 16, 2012 at 2:47 am (5 years ago)

So beautiful. I adore blue!!!

December 16, 2012 at 11:06 am (5 years ago)

Me too! Its my all time favourite colour 😀

December 16, 2012 at 10:37 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks so much! I’ll keep the photos coming! 😀

8. The Charmed Cupcake
    February 21, 2013 at 1:43 pm (5 years ago)

Amazing photos Kaye !! I really love the 1st pic with the black and white background but then the colourful outfit, handbag and matching shoes – lovely !!
    Fantastic work photographing and being a model. I have a hard time photographing my baking shots let alone being a model too, thumbs up to you 🙂

February 25, 2013 at 10:56 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you! I will definitely take the compliment because I’ve had such trouble since then trying to do more photography like this. And let’s not mention I have misplaced my camera remote 😉