How I broke up with Windows 8

Dear Windows 8,

We haven’t known each other for very long, and things just aren’t working out. I don’t want to hurt you, but I think it’s time we went our separate ways. I don’t think I ever loved you Windows 8.

There was that time I tried to send an email with an attachment, but you held me back by hiding the ‘attach’ button. Why would you do such a thing? Aren’t we supposed to be working together? I almost cried that night. All I wanted was to send an email. You upset me, Windows 8. You upset me real bad.

Then there was that time I was working on something and you tricked me into closing it instead of minimising it. For a moment I hadn’t realised what I’d done, until it was too late. All my work – gone. This relationship was never going to work with you changing the rules all the time. It’s like you don’t care about me at all.

And don’t think I haven’t noticed you’ve hidden all my important program’s and files. Oh yeah. I know you’ve got them. I just don’t understand why you would do that? Are you aiming to upset me? I wanted to send a funny picture to a friend, but I couldn’t find a way to get to it. It was going to be so great. But there was no laughter that day. Only tears.

Didn’t anyone ever tell you it’s a bad idea to bring baggage into any relationship? Well I saw all those apps. Hundreds of them. I don’t need them in my life. I had to get rid of all of them. I only did it because I care.

I also heard that you upset my Mum. For shame. She was just trying to watch a movie and you wouldn’t let her leave. Uncle John had to rescue her. She might have been stuck watching that movie, possibly forever.

Now I know we’re going to have to live together for a while, because I just bought this new laptop and you have nowhere else to go. But let me be clear, it’s over between us. As soon as I meet a new Windows I’m moving on. So, I suggest you do the same.

Kaye

10 Comments on How I Broke Up With Windows 8

1. fairytalesandcoffee
    January 10, 2013 at 2:02 pm (5 years ago)

windows 8 looks like a hot mess. Can’t see the appeal.

January 11, 2013 at 12:40 am (5 years ago)

It is definitely not for me. I’ve been very disappointed unfortunately

2. storybookapothecary
    January 10, 2013 at 5:32 pm (5 years ago)

I like Windows 7 better. If you hate Windows 8, you probably won’t like Apple though as the desktops have confusing icons which, if you don’t know what they do, are easy to mistake (shutting instead of minimizing), and it is annoying to navigate on. Also, all that using your right mouse button will be basically over – it’s all left mouse button on Macs. I know how to use them, but I become resentful and bitter. Lol. That’s how adept to change I am.

January 21, 2013 at 3:39 pm (5 years ago)

Agh! Your comment’s ended up in spam, silly wordpress!

I was surviving on my faithful laptop running Vista, ancient I know lol, but I was happy with it until hubby surprised me with new software for Xmas which coincidentally didn’t work with Vista. My replacement laptop had W8 of course and my goodness! I just don’t get along with it.

I’ve never actually used a Mac, its an interesting point you bring up about the icons because I was planning to eventually upgrade to a Mac. At this point though, anything is better than W8 πŸ™‚

3. sekyal
    January 11, 2013 at 12:17 am (5 years ago)

While I find Windows 8 quite enjoyable and much better to use, there is a rather large learning curve for some and things can be difficult to find at first. Heck I forgot where the attachment option is located sometimes lol.
    I do want to say though it was a nicely written article.
    You mention about another Windows, but the next one will more towards the new design than back to the old outdated design.
    Take the time to get used to its idiosyncrasies and it will be fine OR just use the desktop and leave Metro behind.

January 11, 2013 at 4:05 am (5 years ago)

Hi, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! πŸ™‚
      I’m actually glad that it works well for you, it’s nice to know that it’s not completely lost on everyone. I will agree that there are some positive improvements. Unfortunately it affects my workflow (among other things), which ultimately makes me dislike it. Im a serial multi-tasker, and while no doubt there are modifications I can make to help W8 work better for me, I resent the fact I have to change everything. Within a day of having W8, not a single setting or app was as it was intended because of all the changes I made.
      It was as disappointing as buying a new car only to find I had to remove the mirrors, doors, roof, and seats, to get it to work the way I wanted. It seems that W8 has lost a lot of its ‘fuzzy logic’ despite how simplistic it has become.
      I respect that things in life are always destined for change, we would be silly not to embrace it as we make improvements and upgrades. I remember when the new Word layout was introduced, everyone (including myself) hated the changes. Now Im used to it and its not so horrible.
      When it comes to W8 though, it just didn’t work well for me. Sadly I’m not the type of user Windows is targeting anymore and I am left frustrated.

4. Maia J
    January 11, 2013 at 6:01 am (5 years ago)

Great Post. πŸ™‚ & I really like that laptop. Which brand is it?

January 11, 2013 at 9:55 am (5 years ago)

Thanks Maia!

The laptop is a Acer and so far I really like it. It was a really inexpensive replacement for my old laptop that just couldn’t handle my workload anymore. It has a i7 processor which works well for photo editing and the touch screen doesn’t hurt either πŸ™‚

• Maia J
        January 11, 2013 at 10:06 pm (5 years ago)

I’m now looking for a replacement and I will definitely add this one to my list. The touch screen is a nice bonus! Thanks!

January 12, 2013 at 3:20 am (5 years ago)

Welcome! Good luck on your search for a replacement πŸ™‚