John Frieda Frizz Ease Range

Hi guys! I’ve been wanting to share with you my holy grail hair rescue, John Frieda Frizz Ease shampoo, conditioner and extra strength hair serum. If you have thick, coarse, unmanageable hair like me, boy does this make life easier. I like to switch between the frizz ease hydrating (blue bottle) and frizz ease repairing (purple bottle) formulas in the range.

In a nutshell, my hair is like the naughty child of all hair types. I just knew, the moment I broke four hair ties in a row trying to tie it up, I needed serious hair management. Don’t get me wrong I love my hair, but… it’s a full-time job keeping it tame. πŸ™‚

I’ll be honest, for years I avoided the John Frieda Frizz Ease (JFFE) range because I thought, β€˜yeah right, it’s just going to be like every other product that doesn’t work’. I was a little gutted when I finally tried it and found it worked so well. I could have had nicer hair sooner! face palm

Extra Strength Formula Hair Serum

Why do I love it so much?
Growing up I was always so frustrated by the fact that shampoos and conditioners would work miracles for everyone else but leave my hair looking electrocuted. It wasn’t the products fault, it really came down to my hair type. I was once scolded by a hairdresser for not ‘warning’ her my hair was so thick when I booked my appointment. True story.

My hair needed a little extra something to smooth it out and not exaggerate its texture. It is naturally a little wavy, which I don’t mind, but once it gets bent in places it stays that way until I wash or straighten it out. Wire brush, anyone?

I avoid blow drying my hair because it just makes it worse, you’d get better results from blow drying a turd (just an expression, for the love of god don’t do that). I stick to straightening it instead, which thankfully is the one thing that works well.

So, the day I tried JFFE, it change my life. Goodbye horrible hair, hello beautiful manageable hair. With shine too! Wha! What magic is this? Humidity could be a bazillion percent and it will still stay smooth. It also helped it to dry naturally – quickly. For all those who share my hair woes, you know what a difference it makes.

Unwashed hair, before my hair routine

After, washed and straightened

My hair routine typically is:

shampoo (maybe twice)
conditioner (leave as long as possible)
rinse thoroughly
generously apply serum immediately after shower
let dry naturally/overnight
straighten once it is completely dry (usually the next day or two)

I find this way gets the best results. If I jump the gun and try straighten or blow dry it when it’s still damp the result is not as shiny and smooth.

Here is what my hair looks like naturally. I avoided washing it for two weeks and survived by tying it up in a messy bun just to show you πŸ™‚

Before washing:

My natural hair, unwashed

It’s difficult to describe just how much of a difference JFFE makes, so ill let the photos speak for them selves. insert angelic music

Washed and straightened after 48 hours:

After washing and straightening

After washing and straightening

Have you tried this hair care range before? What do you think? Are you as in love as I am? πŸ™‚

29 Comments on My Holy Grail Hair Rescue – John Frieda Frizz Ease Before & After

1. alexis
    January 30, 2013 at 2:58 pm (5 years ago)

I haven’t tried the hydrating version but the repairing one is excellent as well. There’s a new line from L’Oreal called L’Oreal Advanced that is amazing as well. My mom has super thick hair and she loves it so far!

January 30, 2013 at 10:04 pm (5 years ago)

Isn’t it great? I find the repairing one gives a smoother finish πŸ™‚

Thanks for the heads up on the L’Oreal Advanced! I’ll keep that name in mind for when I get brave enough to try something new! I’d be interested to see what the price comparison is, here the John Frieda FE is around $16+ a bottle (ouch!). πŸ™‚

2. Tomiko
    January 30, 2013 at 4:10 pm (5 years ago)

I haven’t tried it but now I want to, what I have tried is the John Frieda Frizz-Ease 3-Day Straight Semi-Permanent Styling Spray, that thing works amazing if you haven’t I recommend you to give it a try πŸ™‚

January 30, 2013 at 10:09 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks for commenting! πŸ™‚

I have tried the 3-Day straight styling spray, but only without a hairdryer. The result wasn’t as great, but of course I didn’t follow the instructions lol. I’m hoping to be able to try it again and review it properly soon. I’ve heard so many great things about it πŸ˜€

• Tomiko
        January 31, 2013 at 12:49 am (5 years ago)

Yes I did a review while ago, i do need to use the hairdryer and my flat iron, but after that my hair does last long time and feels smooth and soft πŸ™‚

January 31, 2013 at 2:00 am (5 years ago)

Ah that’s exactly where I went wrong then! Lol. When I tried it my hair felt very sticky and puffed up a little, and I thought hmm that can’t be what it’s supposed to look like. Everything else in the JF range is great, and I didn’t think this would be the exception πŸ™‚

• Tomiko
        January 31, 2013 at 6:15 am (5 years ago)

Yeah I remembered when I started using it I applied it and if I let my hair air dry that would happen my hair would feel a bit greasy over the roots, but when using the hairdryer and flat iron you will be successful πŸ™‚

January 31, 2013 at 6:19 am (5 years ago)

I’m actually excited to try it again now! lol.

On my next wash i’ll give it a go! πŸ˜€

• Tomiko
        January 31, 2013 at 6:22 am (5 years ago)

Ok hope it works for you as it worked for me πŸ™‚

January 31, 2013 at 6:25 am (5 years ago)

I’m sure it will, it does say in the instructions to blow dry once applied. Thanks for encouraging me, it might have sat in my bathroom cupboard for who knows how long πŸ™‚

3. cuteandcurls
    January 30, 2013 at 4:45 pm (5 years ago)

Holy mother of hair!! You’ve got such gorgeous thick hair!!!!
    Ok i just needed to say that before the introduction hehehe

Hi there, dropping by via Tine. I read her blog about you and I got curious so I clicked and got addicted but did not get a chance to post any comments as I have an 18 month old monchichi always trying to join in the fun her Mum is doing tap tapping away on her laptop ^_^

But today your blog touched on a topic I am so passionate about HAIR SERUM! And my top no.1 favorite JOHN FRIEDA, I am a big fan of John Frieda. I first found John Frieda when I was on my first solo trip to the UK, i tried it and got hooked unfortunately my big mistake was i didnt buy a caboodle of it as where Im at JF is non-existent. I’m curly haired but it seems like my hair is losing its curls now its not as curly as it used to be and my hair is not as thick as it used to be too πŸ™ hence seeing your thick mane make me miss mine ..i can only blame this after pregnancy hormone. Whenever i go to the hairsalon to get my hair done, it always bemuses me when there are 2 of them blow drying my hair and it took them quite awhile to cut my thick hair. Im hoping my hair will grow back to its thick state again i truly do miss terrorising the hairstylist with my thick bun hehehe

January 30, 2013 at 10:26 pm (5 years ago)

Ha ha ha!! Thank you! For years I resented my hair being so thick but I’ve grown to appreciate it, hey, we should be thankful for what we have right? πŸ™‚

I’m so glad you found me via Tine, shes awesome!

So you are also a big fan of John Frieda, come here and high five me, hahaha! Isn’t it just awesome? That is so sad that it’s not available where you are. And here I was complaining that it costs around $16+ a bottle here, I guess I should be thankful it’s available! I’m crossing all my fingers for you, hopefully it will become available where you are in the future.

Every time my husband returns home to the US to visit family I beg him to bring back as many bottles of John Frieda as possible because it is so inexpensive there.

Hahaha, terrorizing the hair stylist! You are so funny πŸ˜€

Thanks so much for stopping by to comment, it’s a pleasure to ‘meet’ you!

• cuteandcurls
        February 7, 2013 at 4:37 pm (5 years ago)

*HIGH FIVE*

Thats why if i do buy a bottle of this serum i use it oh so sparingly ..if i do go to the UK or nearest Thailand where theres a Boots store i make sure i buy at least 5 bottles of them. Currently Im using Garnier’s serum which I actually like too and again is unavailable where I’m at ..why do i always go for these sort of hair serum eh ..but i do want to try Loreal’s Mystic oil next ..we shall see we shall see…

Tine is truly awesome and friendly. Love reading her reviews and other topics on her blog site.

Its a pleasure to ‘meet’ you too πŸ™‚

February 7, 2013 at 10:48 pm (5 years ago)

Right back at you! And yes, I would agree 100%. Tine is fantastic πŸ™‚

I was browsing the hair aisle last night (as you do lol), and I’ve noticed a lot more smoothing serums and products out. The great news is there’s plenty to choose from now, I should give some of them a try. It wouldn’t hurt to have a backup πŸ™‚

4. claire
    January 30, 2013 at 8:40 pm (5 years ago)

I think we have a similar hair texture πŸ™‚ I wish those products would work just as good on me as they did on you πŸ™ Your hair looks so sleek and just amazing.

January 30, 2013 at 10:12 pm (5 years ago)

Aww, so they didn’t work so well for you?

I will say, the final result is not without some serious hair straightening. I still get beautiful manageable hair without styling it, but it is not as sleek and smooth naturally, even with the amazing John Frieda πŸ™‚

• claire
        January 30, 2013 at 11:22 pm (5 years ago)

sadly not πŸ™ I am very happy with the Shu haircare line, moisture velvet. Makes my hair super soft and sleek, even without straightening πŸ™‚

January 30, 2013 at 11:31 pm (5 years ago)

That’s great! You have found The One, which is awesome πŸ™‚

January 31, 2013 at 1:05 am (5 years ago)

Wow! I know it must be a pain but your hair is amazing! It looks amazing wavy naturally. I have the curls but my hair is so thin. I’m glad you found something that works so well, I’ve heard wonderful things. I used to use a frizz ease wind down cream. I thought it was great, but now I’m crazy for Living Proof Straight Making Styling Creme. Oh and btw, I’m not familiar with the “blow dry a turd” phrase πŸ™‚ liking it! xx

January 31, 2013 at 8:16 am (5 years ago)

I’ve never heard of the wind down cream, ill have to look it up. I’m not sure if its part of the range here. Haha, I was hesitant to use the word turd but I couldn’t find a better comparison πŸ˜€

6. iki0o
    January 31, 2013 at 2:23 am (5 years ago)

My gosh, 2 week? Your hair looks lovely by the way, do you have many split ends? I have so many I don’t even try to look anymore. I’ve started using the Joico K-Pak line, so hopefully that will help πŸ™‚

January 31, 2013 at 6:18 am (5 years ago)

Yes, it was getting pretty messy by week two haha.

I don’t think I have many split ends, that I can see anyway. I remember in high school I had quite a few, and I think it had a lot to do with the products I was using, it was very drying. Fast forward many (many!) years and it doesn’t seem to be a problem anymore.

Good luck with the Joico K-Pak line! I hope it works well for you πŸ˜€

7. sugarmitten
    February 1, 2013 at 5:16 am (5 years ago)

My goodness your hair is gorgeous!

8. Donah D. Sweetjellybean
    February 2, 2013 at 12:55 am (5 years ago)

Oh woweeee luscious hair Kaye! I’m jelly! Once upon a time, my hair was this long too, and then I chopped them all off haha otherwise little bean would pull them like there’s no tomorrow! Now I’m growing it back again. I’m going to check this brand out in store at some point since it’s widely available here too, just never tried. Thanks for the awesome review hun!

P.S. btw, thanks so much for following me via email πŸ˜‰ Really appreciate it! xx Donah

February 2, 2013 at 2:17 am (5 years ago)

Thanks so much Donah, I hope it works as well for you as it did for me, it really made a huge difference! *fingers crossed*

It’s funny, my hair is so long but more often than not I tie it up in a messy bun. I am so time poor these days getting my hair cut is always on the bottom of my list lol! I love long hair but need to de-bulk most of it πŸ™‚

You are most welcome for the follow! You are a favourite blogger of mine! Have a awesome day beautiful, hope your birthday rocked! xx

9. Bri S
    June 26, 2013 at 10:53 pm (4 years ago)

For 21 years I’ve struggled to keep my unruly wavy and frizzy hair under control. I can think of two times now I’ve been happy with it and one of those times was when I got my hair done with using Shielo’s Leave in Protectant. I usually put my hair up to avoid dealing with it, but I look much better with it down.

The Shielo Protectant makes my waves and curls come out without the frizz/poof and smells great.My mom brought me to her stylist because she has similar hair (where I got the Shielo product from) and she did the same thing to me as she did to mom, only a little bit different of a style. Needless to say, we both swear by this product now.

June 28, 2013 at 8:37 am (4 years ago)

Tell it sista! I know the feeling of finding the perfect hair product, I am SO happy for you and your Mom. I’d love to give the range a try, I’m always open to finding more amazing hair products for hair like ours πŸ˜€

Thanks for sharing!! xx

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on My Holy Grail Hair Rescue – John Frieda Frizz Ease Before & After