How to create ombre effect images (like I did)

Ever wonder how you can create the ombre effect with your own photos? Two toned/colour images are all the rage right now, so here’s a beginner friendly step by step guide on how I created mine using online photo editor PicMonkey, and how you too can create awesomeness. You know how much I love sharing online photo editing tips!

All you will need:

1 – An image – I used a large photo of my 10 year old son, Mr A.

2 – PicMonkey – note, a small subscription fee is required to use certain features.

Lets begin…

Step 1:

visit Picmonkey website > click ‘edit a photo’ > select your photo > ‘open’

Your image will look something like this in Picmonkey.

Step 2:

Select ‘effects’ > scroll down and select ‘Ombre’

Now to select the two colours we would like, change the direction of the effect, and make some minor changes to make it look the way we want.

First click the drop-down colour boxes and pick the colours you want. I chose Pink – FFCCEE, and Blue – 57AEDA. You can click on the colour you want, or you can enter the colour code in the space shown.

Your image will now look like this:

Next, move the ‘direction’ slider to 15 degrees, and the ‘fade’ slider to 20%  to make the colours more evenly distributed.

Click ‘apply’

Your image will now look like this:

Step 3:

We are now going to apply two different effects to the image.

Still in the ‘effects’ tab scroll up and click ‘Tranquil’ >  apply.

Your colours will now almost match the final image:

In the ‘effects’ tab click ‘Intrepid’ > change the ‘fade’ slider to 40% > apply.

Your image now has slightly darker edges to add to the effect:

Step 4:

It’s time to add in your text, but first we will place a box shape as a guide.

In the ‘overlays’ tab click ‘Geometric’ > click on the rectangle > resize and reposition the square exactly where you want your text to be.

In the ‘text’ tab scroll down and click ‘Tall Dark And Handsome’ > ‘add text’ > enter the first line in your text box > change your text to white using the pop-up ‘text’ window > reposition over guide box and change text size using ‘text’ window.

Your text should look like this:

Repeat the text steps for each line. Remember, each line may be a different size, you can enter the text number if this is more precise.

We don’t need the guide anymore, so click on the black guide box and delete it (‘backspace’):

Step 5:

For a little creative flare, lets add some triangles cause you know, geometric shapes are pretty cool…

In the ‘overlays’ tab click ‘Geometric’ > click on the triangle > reposition & resize to suit > select desired colour & change fade slider to change opacity.

To save time, right click on your finished triangle and select ‘duplicate overlay’. Voila! More triangles. Re-position & edit as many as you need.

Step 6:

Don’t forget to save!

click ‘save’ (above image) > choose a file name & image size > ‘Save Photo’ to finish.

Now shove all the papers off your desk and put your hands in the air ’cause you’re done! fist pump

😀

14 Comments on How To Create Ombre Effect Images (Like I Did)

1. satine89
    March 23, 2013 at 5:26 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you so much!!! This editor will become my favorite in no time, I’m sure!!!

March 24, 2013 at 12:39 am (5 years ago)

That’s so great! I swear by it. Honestly! I have photoshop (and I do love it so much) but time and time again I come back to Picmonkey for easy, no-fuss editing. I love to give tutorials on Picmonkey because not everyone has photoshop. I hope you have fun with photo editing! xx

2. Donah D.
    March 23, 2013 at 5:44 pm (5 years ago)

Aww Kaye this looks amazing! You’re pretty good with PicMonkey hun, I just don’t have the patience I think. I feel like being so limited in manipulating images and texts, I keep going back to Photoshop LOL. But I’ve been using the Effects on PicMonkey to enhance some of my photos. Thanks for sharing this and geometric shapes are pretty cool indeed! <3

March 24, 2013 at 12:46 am (5 years ago)

Haha, I know exactly what you mean. For all of us who are used to photoshop it can seem ‘limited’ 🙂 we are spoiled aren’t we? 😉

I do still absolutely love Picmonkey though, for a few reasons. One being not everyone has photoshop and I remember when I first started blogging I was desperate for a free/inexpensive way to edit my pics in a awesome way. What I usually do is figure out how to do something in photoshop, then ‘reverse engineer’ it to create it in PM. Lol!

I’m going to have to get some PS tips from you! I’m still in the learning stages and love what you can do! 😀

3. Luchessa
    March 23, 2013 at 7:04 pm (5 years ago)

That’s how you do it! 🙂 Yes Mam 😉

March 24, 2013 at 12:40 am (5 years ago)

Haha! Yes Ma’am! If you do happen to recreate it send me a link, I’d love to see how my tutorials fair! 🙂 xx

• Luchessa
        March 24, 2013 at 10:39 am (5 years ago)

I think with picmonkey i’ve done similar things many times, without knowing i’m following a tutorial 😛
        But articles liekt his will def help newbies out there and should be shared. 😀

March 24, 2013 at 12:32 pm (5 years ago)

You and I both! I often find myself just playing around on there, not having anything particular in mind, and find I create some amazing things 😀

4. yourstylejourney
    March 25, 2013 at 2:28 am (5 years ago)

Good to know, thanks! I need all the help I can get.

March 25, 2013 at 2:44 am (5 years ago)

If you’d like any help don’t be shy to shoot me a line! 🙂

5. MS Designer Wear Blog
    February 22, 2014 at 3:32 pm (4 years ago)

omg!
    i used picmonkey and i didnt know that i could do such things!
    thanks for the lovely tutorial!

March 7, 2014 at 2:21 am (4 years ago)

Oh gosh yes! Picmonkey can do so many things I often challenge myself to take a photoshop tutorial and ‘backwards engineer’ it to be able to create the same effects in Picmonkey. You’d be surprised what it can do for you 🙂

6. Amber
    April 16, 2014 at 12:44 pm (4 years ago)

This is a great tutorial, thank you! I love picmonkey SO much. 🙂