Review: Revlon Photoready Skinlights Are Back – In Photoready Form!

Revlon Photoready Skinlights bare light pink light bronze light review swatch FOTD

Excuse me for a moment… doing a little dance… Revlon Skinlights have made their comeback! That’s right, the throwback skin illuminating range has hit the shelves – again, with a small name revamp – and I for one am incredibly happy. There is a clear line between those who love or hate the Photoready range, you’re either one or the other, but if you happen to love everything it has to offer then you can dance along with me. Revlon Photoready Skinlights, I love you!

I recently picked up three shades from the Chemist Warehouse sale (half price!), and have been excited to do a quick FOTD, review and swatch, ever since. Does anyone else remember the originals? Am I correct in thinking there was a stick version too? Boy that takes me waaay back. Way. Way. Back.

Below: I lightly contoured my face using three skinlights shades

As it just so happens, I have a small arsenal of Revlon Photoready products in my drawer, so for the FOTD I thought it would be nice to combine them all. I wanted to keep the look as clean and fresh as possible, so I skipped all the extras – no blush, no eyeshadow, nothing. Here is what I used:

Primer – revlon photoready perfecting primer
Foundation – revlon photoready airbrush mousse makeup in natural beige
Concealer – MAC studio finish concealer NC40
Powder – revlon photoready powder in  light medium
Mascara – maybelline the falsies
Eyeliner – maybelline eyestudio gel liner
Lipstick – maybelline color sensational vivids in shocking coral
Skinlights – revlon photoready in bare light, pink light, bronze light

There has to be a down side, right?

Yes it’s true. Skinlights won’t be for everyone. As with any highlighter or shimmer, it’s going to accentuate the texture of your skin. If you have large pores, fine lines or scarring, it’s bound to draw attention to it. That’s a bummer I know. Technically, these skin highlighters aren’t suitable for me either, as I have large pores, scarring and combination skin. But I’m not bothered and still love how it looks. A good primer and powder also helps.

:P

The final verdict

The finish is very sheer and shimmery, and only a small amount is needed. If you’re applying it sparingly these will last you a very long time. A small dot is really all you need for one area. The longevity is so-so. On oily skin it will slide eventually, but the shimmer should last until you wash it off. It is not transfer proof unfortunately, so you will end up with light shimmer everywhere if you keep touching your face. That means hands off!

Price wise, it’s a tough call. As far as illuminators go, there are many options out there, so it’s not like you can’t get the same result elsewhere. I do think it is a little pricey for 30ml (the AUD price for most makeup in Australia is high in my opinion), but I’m a Revlon and Photoready fan so I was happy to give them a try.

As I said, you’re either going to love them or hate them. It really comes down to whether shimmer/glow is your thing. I love how fresh and bright my skin looks when I wear it, its 8 hours sleep in a bottle. I could live without the bronze light shade, but would definitely repurchase bare light as it is a great match to my skin. These are winners in my book, and I just can’t beat how beautiful and fresh my complexion looks. If Revlon discontinued the line again, I think I would secretly be a little sad.

89 Comments on Review: Revlon Photoready Skinlights Are Back – In Photoready Form!

1. Sam
    May 29, 2013 at 12:35 pm (2 years ago)

You look wonderful! I think the highlighter looks really good. Your foundation also works great with your skin tone, when I first saw the picture I thought that it had been heavily edited because your skin looks so perfect with that foundation!

May 29, 2013 at 12:46 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you so much! The Photoready range must be working wonders, its all ‘natural’ :) I was a little nervous as my skin actually has quite a lot of acne scarring, but I have to say the Photoready foundation has always been wonderful to conceal that. It doesn’t hide pores well, but I still love the effect :)

Thanks for stopping by! <3

• Sam
        May 29, 2013 at 12:47 pm (2 years ago)

I’ll definitely have to try out the Photoready foundation then because it looks amazing on you!

May 29, 2013 at 12:49 pm (2 years ago)

I hope you like it as much as I do! It has been my go-to for quite a few years now. As my skin ages the pores and lines are more visible with the shimmer-finish of the foundation, but I don’t mind. I like a fresh glow. I’m crossing my fingers for you, it’s a lovely foundation :)

May 29, 2013 at 1:15 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Sam! I completely forgot to mention! If you’re going to look into getting a Photoready foundation, test out all the finishes so see what works best. In this FOTD I used the mousse version, but I actually dont like it as well as the liquid. It just so happens I am all out of the liquid and the mousse was all that was left. The colour match is the same, but it can be difficult to blend once it dries. Hope that helps! :D

• Sam
        May 29, 2013 at 1:36 pm (2 years ago)

Oh okay! Thanks for the tip. :)

2. Ari
    May 29, 2013 at 1:02 pm (2 years ago)

I have large pores near my nose and somewhat on my cheeks, so technically a highlighter wouldn’t suit me and make them more obvious but I still love highlighters too much to care! Especially liquid ones, since they’re great for my dry cheeks :)

May 29, 2013 at 1:09 pm (2 years ago)

You and I both! I think that is great. Wear what you love, don’t worry about the little things :)

Highlighters give you such a fresh complexion, so the tradeoff is fair I think.

3. Moi Contre Le Vie
    May 29, 2013 at 1:19 pm (2 years ago)

I’m SO impressed by your expertise! I really need to learn more about highlighting & using these products the best way that I can. Thanks for the tips! :)

May 29, 2013 at 1:58 pm (2 years ago)

You are most welcome! I hope you have fun experimenting with highlighting and contouring. I’m really only an expert by years and years of testing things lol! No real experience here :D

4. jpark0718 (@Julie_Park)
    May 29, 2013 at 1:57 pm (2 years ago)

Amazing swatches. This post is so informative and you look beautiful as always. I’m not a big highlighter junkie, well not the liquid type… I prefer matte finishes so prob wouldn’t work for me. :)

May 29, 2013 at 2:02 pm (2 years ago)

I definitely know what you mean. Liquid highlighters can be very hit and miss. They are well suited to those blessed with perfect, poreless skin lol! I am always interested in discovering new highlighters, which is your favourite? I would love to find the perfect matte :D

5. stilettosandtequila
    May 29, 2013 at 3:04 pm (1 year ago)

Wow I’ve been a fan of Revlon and this highlighter looks amazing. I like the ‘pink light’ shade. Amazing review! xoxo :)

June 1, 2013 at 12:36 am (1 year ago)

Glad you liked the review! Revlon is a favourite of mine also. Are you a fan of their Photoready foundations? When they are all combined the look is very bright and beautiful :D

• stilettosandtequila
        June 1, 2013 at 9:57 am (1 year ago)

No I haven’t tried that yet. I’ll definitely keep an eye out for it. :)

6. storybookapothecary
    May 29, 2013 at 3:48 pm (1 year ago)

I’ve actually never tried these, but they sound really lovely for summer looks! ♥

June 1, 2013 at 12:23 am (1 year ago)

They would be great for summer looks! Very fresh and glowy :D

7. Cheryl Zamora
    May 29, 2013 at 5:19 pm (1 year ago)

You’re beautiful. I have never tried using highlighting products nor have any revlon/s :p I might try to look one in here :)

June 1, 2013 at 12:25 am (1 year ago)

Haha, Revlon seems to be my go-to brand. I never intended it that way, but I’ve collected so much. You should definitely try, you may love it! :)

8. Luchessa
    May 29, 2013 at 6:30 pm (1 year ago)

ok this is not the skin ( or face) of a “multiple-mama” :P Girl you look like 20 and im so jelly :P LOL
    Love the finish and the final look of the face. Very natural & “clean”.

June 1, 2013 at 12:26 am (1 year ago)

Thank you! I was happily surprised at how fresh it looked even without blush and all the extras. No need to be jelly (that word is so funny lol), its all in the amazing makeup! :D

• Luchessa
        June 1, 2013 at 9:27 am (1 year ago)

Its def fit’s your skin tone perfectly and whats more important it doesnt bring out any lines, which I’m sure you don’t even have :P lol

June 1, 2013 at 9:43 am (1 year ago)

Hahaha! Oh they are there, but I am more than happy to take your word lol! And the Photoready foundation has been my favourite for years, I’d say that shade is the closest match to my skin I’ve ever achieved.

Thank you beautiful! <3

9. Sana Sadiq
    May 29, 2013 at 8:35 pm (1 year ago)

OMG!!! You looked absolutely flawless and the product sounds so lovely. Love the swatches <3 GIG xoxo

June 1, 2013 at 12:38 am (1 year ago)

Aww thank you! This makeup combination is wonderful in smoothing out the skin and hiding a multitude of things. I think it really is lovely :)

10. Maria @ Box of Stolen Socks
    May 29, 2013 at 9:59 pm (1 year ago)

WoW you look amazing! and I don’t this it is just because of these products! I am not very make-up savvy so your post has taught me a lot about how to use these things if I ever get brave enough to buy them. Thanks <3 from GiG

June 1, 2013 at 12:40 am (1 year ago)

I’m so happy you learnt a trick or two! When I was writing up the post I thought, hmm, maybe I should really show where I applied it to my face, because if you weren’t sure and applied it like a foundation you might be very disappointed lol. I hope your able to give them a try and you love them! :D

• Priyanka Sagi
        July 27, 2014 at 7:54 am (4 months ago)

Hi beautiful.. this is Priyanka from india, I grabbed the product yesterday and very excited about it. please let me know whether the product is completely sealed when we purchase it. or partially??

May 30, 2013 at 1:00 am (1 year ago)

You are a ton of gorgeous! These are great, it gives a really gorgeous glow with the right amount of shimmer. Love it!

June 1, 2013 at 12:29 am (1 year ago)

I agree! The formula seems to be just right. Not too over the top, but enough to look beautiful. If you tried it out, who knows what might happen – your skin is already SO amazing lol! :D <3

12. fairytalesandcoffee
    May 30, 2013 at 1:56 am (1 year ago)

These were my first highlighters I ever used. I am curious about the change/update and will try these after the ban.

June 1, 2013 at 12:31 am (1 year ago)

I was curious about the exact same thing. It’s been so long since I’ve tried the original products, it’s difficult to say what changes (if any) have been made. As far as I can tell, they seem pretty close. It’s possible the only thing that has been changed, is the name :)

Good luck with trying them after your ban!

13. Lizcarlett Johansson
    May 30, 2013 at 2:27 am (1 year ago)

hmm.. i wanna try this look though i dunno if it will suit me. I tend to look very shiny (in a bad way) whenever I put highlighters since I have oily skin. but maybe the powder will do the trick. haha. i hope so.

June 1, 2013 at 12:43 am (1 year ago)

Sounds like you and I have the same skin. And you are right to think it may or may not suit, oily skin can be a pain. I have to be careful not to look like an oil slick when I wear it. Definitely use a primer, and try a little powder if you find that helps. If all else fails, you can apply sparingly and avoid places like the nose and forehead :D

June 1, 2013 at 12:32 am (1 year ago)

Thank you! I tidied them up especially for this post :P

June 1, 2013 at 12:44 am (1 year ago)

Definitely do! Good luck, I hope you love them as much as I do! <3

14. Kajsa Josephine
    May 30, 2013 at 11:33 am (1 year ago)

I envy you for your great skin. The make-up is nicely executed :)

June 1, 2013 at 12:33 am (1 year ago)

That is always such a wonderful compliment, so thank you! I’ve battled with difficult skin for so many years, it’s lovely to hear. <3

15. Cindy Tong
    May 30, 2013 at 4:13 pm (1 year ago)

oh i like this colourss..perhaps i should try if it’s available in my country!

-gig-

June 1, 2013 at 12:45 am (1 year ago)

I hope so too. Where are you located? I’m crossing my fingers for you! :D

16. Kim @ 2justByou
    May 30, 2013 at 5:26 pm (1 year ago)

I think these are great for summer time. Summer is all about the glow. =0)
    I’m following you via bloglovin. And also on twitter (find me @2Byoutify).
    ~Kim

June 12, 2013 at 6:20 am (1 year ago)

It certainly is! And it’s also great to give a little faux glow in winter too! :D

17. Sam Lanuza
    May 31, 2013 at 3:37 am (1 year ago)

I haven’t seen that product line in Revlon here I should ask the distributor because it’s really interesting. I like how you demonstrated where to put them :)

June 1, 2013 at 12:47 am (1 year ago)

It’s always interesting to find out that not all products are available everywhere. Don’t you hate that? Lol. Asking the distributor is a great idea, and if by some chance they dont stock it, they can register that there is interest! Who knows, maybe they will introduce it then :D

• Sam Lanuza
        June 5, 2013 at 6:13 am (1 year ago)

Even lipstick shades too, I once searched for fifth avenue fuchsia from Maybelline and I saw it in Singapore, not here. But now it’s available here :)

June 5, 2013 at 7:45 am (1 year ago)

I’ve noticed brands are getting better, more shades and colours are available in more places. Blogger influence perhaps? :P

That is a beautiful shade by the way! Great choice <3

18. Mrs. Gaeul
    May 31, 2013 at 5:23 am (1 year ago)

I love the pink highlight. Your skin really does glow. :)

June 1, 2013 at 12:35 am (1 year ago)

It really does! I’ve also seen a fourth shade out there, but I’m not sure what colour it is or where it is available. The pink and bare shade and definitely favourites :D

19. Nina Onthemoon
    June 1, 2013 at 7:37 am (1 year ago)

great tutorial! :) i am just starting to learn how to contour..

June 1, 2013 at 9:02 am (1 year ago)

Contouring will change your life! You can completely transform the way you look with some very clever contouring. The products I used were subtle, but the principle is always the same :D

Thanks for stopping by! <3

20. steph chen
    June 2, 2013 at 10:06 am (1 year ago)

oh my gosh you are a beautiful woman, I want these so bad, I didnt even know they were available! Is the sale still on? :( I dont know if i can wait till the next one :((

June 2, 2013 at 10:12 am (1 year ago)

Oh man I think the sale ended on the 30th! I’m so sorry! But if you happen to be near a chemist warehouse you shouldn’t have to wait long, I find their prices are always cheaper. They seem to always have a sale going for their makeup.

I’m assuming you live in Australia? :) another thing I like to do is subscribe to big w, Kmart, Priceline etc email catalogues to keep and eye out for sales. Revlon is discounted quite often.

Thanks so much for your compliment! Good luck shopping! <3

21. thinacruz
    June 2, 2013 at 10:14 am (1 year ago)

You have an amazing flawless skin and the product accentuated it nicely! Your pictures are gorgeous too! Wish I could learn a few tricks!

June 2, 2013 at 10:32 am (1 year ago)

Aww thanks so much Thina! You are too kind. Whenever I steal a moment I’ve been working on posts to share photography tips and tricks! I’m still learning myself but I love to share what I know. Stay tuned <3

22. MyLuxury1st
    June 2, 2013 at 5:02 pm (1 year ago)

Is that you? You look bright, refreshed, and beautiful

23. bellezakisses
    June 2, 2013 at 8:25 pm (1 year ago)

Wow!!!!! SUPER pretty! I’ll have to keep my eyes out for these.

June 2, 2013 at 10:10 pm (1 year ago)

Definitely! They are quite pretty! And thank you so much <3 :)

24. jessikerbakes
    June 4, 2013 at 3:33 pm (1 year ago)

Wow that’s some beautiful blending!! And you’re so pretty!

June 5, 2013 at 7:52 am (1 year ago)

Aww you are too kind! And with these skinlights it’s definitely easy to blend, very fuss-free :D

25. Casey Lindberg-Coghill
    September 3, 2013 at 1:41 pm (1 year ago)

Even without the makeup, you look like a total supermodel! :) Great tip about purchasing in bare light- I may have to try these out.

BTW, your photos are looking more crisp and clear with every new post. You are doing a superb job!

26. Ari
    September 3, 2013 at 1:53 pm (1 year ago)

This looks gorgeous. I’ll have to check if we have them here too!

27. Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie
    September 3, 2013 at 1:54 pm (1 year ago)

You look amazing in these shots – You really know how to apply the shimmer well. I may need to try one of these! <3

28. Somdatta
    September 3, 2013 at 2:06 pm (1 year ago)

wow! I am so excited too! I don’t know if they are already available in Belgium (Everything takes forever to finally arrive here)! I will check out! BTW, lovely lovely photography!

29. Emma @ Manicurity
    September 3, 2013 at 3:51 pm (1 year ago)

Ahhhhhhh! YES! I am definitely a HUGE fan of this line from Revlon. So so so excited it’s coming back. You look beautiful in these photos

30. Areeba
    September 3, 2013 at 4:32 pm (1 year ago)

Wow, awesome results! Plus, you look gorgeous! :*)

31. Alia
    September 3, 2013 at 5:00 pm (1 year ago)

Great results! You look gorgeous!

32. Kajsa Josephine
    September 3, 2013 at 5:16 pm (1 year ago)

Claps of joy on your behalf :)) Very happy that you wrote a detailed description, since I haven´t tried these products yet.

33. Chelsey Plumb
    September 4, 2013 at 12:14 am (1 year ago)

That foundation looks great! I like how you combined the different shades to highlight your face. I love the diagram you made to show the readers where to place the different shades of foundation.

Chelsey via http://www.stylebychelsey.com

34. Ileana
    September 4, 2013 at 6:48 am (1 year ago)

OMG! Love how u did ur make up! These look amazing :)
    xoxo

novelstyle.blogspot.com

35. Quinn
    September 4, 2013 at 10:10 am (1 year ago)

Girl you look beaaautiful in these shots! Makes me wanna go buy Revlon skinlights right now… ;)

36. agatapokutycka
    September 5, 2013 at 5:06 pm (1 year ago)

Lovely review and Wow, you look great!

37. Beauty Blogette
    September 7, 2013 at 12:38 am (1 year ago)

They look amazing! I would love to try them out. :)

38. Blair
    September 9, 2013 at 2:44 pm (1 year ago)

If only these illuminators are shimmer free. They are gorgeous!

39. bellezakisses
    September 9, 2013 at 11:25 pm (1 year ago)

Gorgeous!!! I have large pores, and scarring, however, I think I still want to try this.

40. Bree
    September 10, 2013 at 3:19 pm (1 year ago)

Looks pretty darn amazing! I don’t really wear makeup on my face much but I was looking at these yesterday thinking they would be nice to have just for those days when I feel like my skin needs a bit more oomph.
    Great review, love your photography, content & layout – beautiful blog!

#GIGBLOGGERS

41. Nina Onthemoon
    September 12, 2013 at 4:05 am (1 year ago)

awesome! i have the pink one that revlon gifted me but haven’t tried it yet!!

42. Taneja's Bride
    December 22, 2013 at 10:19 pm (11 months ago)

Oh yeaaah! I will be getting these!! :)

December 22, 2013 at 11:49 pm (11 months ago)

Good luck! I’ve been using mine regularly :)

43. Erin
    March 22, 2014 at 9:02 pm (8 months ago)

So excited!! I still have the loose powder form. Although the liquid was my favorite.

March 23, 2014 at 2:08 am (8 months ago)

Wow I remember the powder! I actually wish I still had it, I didn’t realise how much I really loved these products… Perhaps they will re-release the powder too someday? :)

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Review: Revlon Photoready Skinlights Are Back – In Photoready Form!

1. […] Mont Bleu also carries a range of products, all embellished with crystallized Swarovski elements. You can see me sporting a pair of their earrings in this post. […]

2. […] créditos dessa make o produto que aparece é o Revlon PhotoReady Skinlights Face Illuminator na cor bronze. É uma super novidade da marca e imagino que demore a chegar ao Brasil (isso se vier […]